Monday, June 6, 2011

State Fair Criterium

The weekend after I got back there was a cycling criterium at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.  So why not do it, right?  Coach Liz said it would be good so I showed up that morning and signed up.  My hope was at the end of the day to win a little cash to cover the race fee and maybe get some lunch.

It was pretty cold and rainy when I showed up but the weather forecast gave a little hope that it might clear up by the time I raced.  Currently I am a cat 4 but there was a cat 3/4 race so I decided to sign up for that instead of just the 4's.  My hope was that I would get my ass kicked and put in my place.  At the end of the day I did :)

The course is a pretty challenging loop that starts as a gradual downhill and then a sweeping curve to the left.  After another left turn you start to climb, and climb,  and climb some more.  Then there was a nice descent which lead to a sharp left turn and another much shorter hill.  Then it was time to do it all over again.... well 19 more times.  The race started at a fast pace and I was able to stay pretty close to the front.   At about lap 4 or 5 a bit of a gap had formed at the front which I surged to bridge.  From there it was a group of 3 until the last lap where the 2 other guys surged and I could not cover it at all.  I knew it was coming and had contemplated surging there as well but when it came down to it I was toasted.

Ended up 3rd overall and won back my race entry and enough to get a burger with Kyer at SmashBurger.  Yum!!

It is great to switch things up a bit and do a cycling race like this or a running race.  Learning about the tactics of different sports is really interesting and makes me think about how I can approach my more serious races.

No comments:

Post a Comment