Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pigman Sprint Tri

Pigman was an unexpected add on the race schedule.  About a week after getting back from Italy the race schedule was mostly finalized.  Over the past few months it has changed a lot with injury/travel blah blah blah crap happens.  For now it is finalized which makes me happy.

On the schedule I thought Copper Creek was on the 5th so I was all ready to go until while paying for the race realized it was not until the 26th.  Coach then said I had to find a race for the weekend because it was TIME TO RACE!

Time for Pigman.

Saturday I drove from Ames to Palo to do my pre-race routine and packet pickup.  It was a gorgeous day and hoped the next day would be the same.  Later that night I headed home to Cedar Falls and went out to eat with my dad.  He had just gotten a new car so of course I also had to check it out.

Race morning came pretty early.  Rocked out to Foster the People for the drive to the course.  I'm thinking that will be my pre-race music this year.  After setting up transition making sure my Jamis T2 was ready to ride I went back and hung out in my car taking a little nap.  I may have done a little warming up.

The goal for the swim was to come out with the leaders no matter what.  Even if it totally blew me up I wanted to just go for it because it was only a 500.  I ended up leading the second half and coming out of the water first.  A new experience which I could definitely get used to.  The ride was uneventful and just held position.  Coming off the bike I knew the other guys were close and at the turnaround knew they were  closing in.  At mile 2 I ended up getting passed and had no way of holding on to his pace.

Overall I was happy with the result.  The time was 2 minutes faster than last year and the conditions were similar so I'm hoping that means good things to come for the rest of the year.

Up next- Trinona.  We'll see how the hills go!

No comments:

Post a Comment