Monday, September 26, 2011

First ITU Race

Last weekend I headed out to Buffalo for the Nickel City Triathlon.  This would serve as my first ITU draft legal race and see if the style of racing fits me.

Headed out there late Thursday and chilled most of the day Friday.  Had some great food at a place called Anchor Bar with my parents as my pre-race meal.  The race was not until 2:00 in the afternoon so it was nice to sleep in and hang out in the morning before heading to the race site.

Going into the race I had no expectations and 2 goals: be able to finish (not get lapped out) and not get last place.  The goals were not too lofty but with a new format and not knowing how things would play out I was just getting my feet wet with this one.

Mission accomplished: 65 guys on the start line- 46 finished and I placed 38th.
Results here: http://www.score-this.com/ResultFiles/20110924NCTMResults.pdf

I was pretty much dead last heading out on the run but had an ok run and picked off some guys.

My weakness is the most obvious right from the gun.  I was damn slow in the water.  The full second loop I was all alone and was kicking myself for not finding some feet.  This set me up for getting caught in the tail end of riders.  I was between a pack of 15 guys in front and 3 behind me.  After the first lap I could tell I was not gaining any time so sat up and hoped to work with the group behind to make up time.  We didn't make up much time but at least I was not dumb and TT'd the whole thing.  We almost got lapped but luckily were able to finish and get onto the run.  For a bit of the first lap I was running in last but then started to pick off some guys.  Ended up 38th.

My education: SWIM FASTER.  Thats it-  Dont find feet or get in a decent pack and thats it.  So back to the pool!

Need to throw a huge thanks to Ruster Sports for their Hen House bike case.  It got my bike there SAFE and CHEAP.  If you dont know about these you should check out their website or follow them on FB or Twitter.
Only cost me $50 round trip as a single checked bag to get the bike there.  No more $150 each way bull crap.

Another thanks to DiscountTriSupply.com for all their help with gear.  Check out their end of season sales and save some $$$.

Now it's time to get back to studying and prepping for Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks.

Enjoy the fall weather because it will soon be winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment