Thursday, March 31, 2011

Race!

This last weekend I had the opportunity to race!

None of that would have been possible without Giacomo inviting me into the CCN club and getting all the paperwork in order.  Once again thanks so much for everything!

Road trip to Marina di Pisa!

The other two members, Giovanni Laiso and Michele Insalata and driver Errico were scheduled to pick me up along the metro line on Saturday morning.  We had never met before but had "stalked" each other a little on facebook.  I had to have stuck out like a sore thumb while waiting.  I had a road bike, backpack and was wearing T-shirt and shorts.  It was 65 degrees, there is no need for a jacket or pants when spring is here.  The guys pulled up and had no doubt it was me they were picking up.  4 guys and 3 bikes in a Ford Galaxy and we were off!

The drive was beautiful.  Every once in a while we would be driving right along the sea or through some rolling hills of the Tuscan countryside.  I am stunned at the view of each place I am lucky to visit.  We stopped for lunch at the AutoGrill.  It is the same concept as pulling off the highway in the US but kicks the crap out of McDonalds or any gas station food.  Definitely in awe.  There was fresh spaghetti, fresh cooked meat (cooked in front of you), and vegetables.  I had never imagined there were places like this.  It was great to not have to eat McDonalds the day before racing.

We got to Marina di Pisa and rode the bike course and saw some awards from the current day's race.  Later was some more food and off to bed.

The next morning we were greeted with Giacomo's smiling face.  He was in Spain most of the week and drove late into the night to come watch the race and cheer us on.  Sweet!

This race was a very different format from anything I have ever done.  It was a super sprint team duathlon. There were 3 people on a team and each person and a super sprint du.  2.5k run, 10k bike (draft legal), 1k run.  Michele started us off and came in at the front of the second group.  He had some outstanding runs.  Next was Giovanni who is also a great runner went second and held about the same position through is mini race.  When it was my turn I did all I could to hold onto the same position.  I was hoping to get a little experience riding with a group but unfortunately that did not happen.  No one caught me and the group was too far ahead of me to bridge the gap.  The second run put me in a totally different world.  It was only 1k but and ALL OUT sprint.
We crossed as the 12th team overall and the guys seemed pretty happy with that so I guess I am too!

This weekend was a blast.  Made some new friends and did something I could not have done in the states.  Hopefully there will be some more great stories to come as my time here is getting shorter!  Only a month left and they are deporting me.. or that is when my flight is scheduled to take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment