Monday, November 29, 2010

The season finale

Going into this race I had very high hopes. I think that everyone on the start line that day did. Everyone there had earned their spot and worked hard to get there. Leading up to this one there were more nerves from within and the night before was the first sleepless night pre race.

Physically I was ready but was not ready for the different race strategy that Clearwater is notorious for.

The general reports of "the swim was awesome and I felt great during the ride" are all the same so this one gets a little spice.

The bike portion of this race was a different ride than I had ever been on. I had ridden in groups before but none this big. I have done some criterium bike races that have not been this dangerous. It felt like I was in the middle of the peleton at the Tour de France. Everyone was riding in aero and super close. Any attempt at breaking away was a lost cause. Eventually you would get reeled back in. Mile 47 was where I learned my biggest lesson of the year.

At this point in the bike I was starting to gear up for the run and zone out a little. It was the longest I had ridden outside in a few months and was getting mentally tired of weaving in and out of people. At this point there were 3-4 people wide in a single traffic lane with many people ahead and back. The group was passing someone and swung to the left. This put me on course with a 2' traffic cone. It as one of those things that I saw coming and knew it would end badly but could not do anything to stop it. The front wheel hit the cone and threw me to the ground. Fortunately most of the impact was on my right wrist right where my Garmin was positioned. My body then rolled on to my right side where I sprawled out on the concrete.

Fast forward to mile 4 of the run.

At this point I had run my way to the front of my age group and was feeling good. Over then next few miles the pace had dropped a little but was still going strong. Mile 8 came around and something was for sure wrong. This was the first time I had ever walked in a race and it was not because of fatigue. I assumed the position with hands on knees and neck craned forward so as to keep my shoes clean. This spot will always be etched into my memory. After getting it all out there were a few minutes of standing around trying to figure out what I should do. The sick feeling had gone so there was no excuse to not finish. The rest of the race was a walk/jog to the finish line because I had puked out all of my liquid and nutrition.

I learned a lot during this race. Leading up to the race Coach Liz told me to "race in my box." At the time I didnt fully understand what that meant. I had raced another persons race and lost my head for a split second. Hopefully that only happens once. Each race is also a fight that you have to finish. If you are fighting for the win or just to finish the drive must come from deep within. No matter if you crash, vomit or are just having an off day you always have to fight.

Now its time to think about next year and new goals. I have some ideas but think that I might be a little too far into the clouds. It's ok because we are supposed to dream big, right?

Congrats to everyone else on their great season and hope to see everyone on the line next year! Now go train!

No comments:

Post a Comment