Monday, September 13, 2010

Freedom of Mind

Most of what I have posted so far is about triathlon. Training, races, gear, all of the usual stuff. There have only been a few mentions of what goes on outside of that. Here is a little more insight into how I work.

Once upon a time in Southern California I was born and.... ok maybe not that much information.

The semester has been under way for a few weeks now and things seem to be getting a little crazy. There is always "that project" "that paper" "the trip we are going on in a few weeks." All of these things are always lingering in the back of my mind and it wares you down. I have found that when the to-do list gets long I do less. There is no explanation for this. Somehow these things eventually get done but they seem to take FOREVER to do. This might come from being a last minute type of person.

There are some people who plan everything months in advance and know exactly what they are doing on a Saturday at 3:00 2 weeks away. I don't know what I am doing 2 hours from now. A little bit of this comes from my parents and the way things were done while growing up. When a vacation time would be coming up quickly it would not be until a week or two out that reservations would be made. These would be big vacations too! One was Disney World. Another was going back to California to see relatives. Sometimes we would just go somewhere and make it up as the trip went on. This "freedom" is something that I have lived with for a long time. There is a sense that I am going in a direction and doing something, but at any minute the final destination could change. This is how some memorable experiences happen. For example:

It was my 21st birthday weekend and I was driving to the Wisconsin Dells with my friends Nate and Sara. We had a final destination and idea of when we wanted to get there. The navigation system was set and knew exactly where we were going. At one point the navigation was not working and just decided to wing it. Out on some random country road we hit a sign that says "Frank Lloyd Wright studio 5 miles." All of us being design majors though this was the most random, awesome thing ever. None of us knew that his buildings were around there or had any intention of seeing anything that sweet. Of course we got out and spent a few hours there. Not only were the buildings great to look at and understand but the Wisconsin landscape was beautiful. This part of the trip was never even thought of but still remains memorable.

I guess what I am saying is that having a plan is good, but don't be afraid to totally change it. Live in the now and dont worry about what "might" happen. If it does happen, deal with it then but there is a good chance that it will not even be an issue.

This "freedom" I spoke of goes for most parts of my life. For training I will do workouts when I feel like it. I could plan on doing them in the morning and just feel like crap in the AM. There is nothing to stress about because they will eventually get done. I like things being like this. It is stress free and things get done. Freedom has no ties, no commitments and its what I know.

So I'm thinking I might take a road trip... to Colorado? Or Florida? Maybe go live somewhere for a while. Who knows. Whatever happens, happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment